According to the map provided in the question, many countries/regions have placed nuclear reactors in dangerous places. When I say dangerous, I mean running the risk of being involved in possible earthquakes and tsunamis. This danger is caused by having a reactor near a major fault line. The consequences of this odd placement of a nuclear reactor have been seen with Japans recent disaster. Three countries that have ultimately made a bad decision as to where their nuclear reactors go would be Mexico, Argentina, and Pakistan. One or two of each countries reactors stand close to a fault line that would greatly increase the danger of an explosion occurring.
Seeing that many nuclear reactors have been established near fault lines, it tells us that designers of these reactors had earthquakes and tsunamis in the back of their minds as threats. After Japans crisis with their reactor, I believe designers will definitely put more thought into the placement of these nuclear reactors.
I believe fire protection problems and earthquake risk are the most prevalent issues with a nuclear reactor and the ones that should definitely be checked up on. The reason I believe this to be true is because since you're working with unstable elements and atoms and reactions in a nuclear base, fire must be a hazard that shows its face alot. The reactors with these problems are in Florida, and Alabama. Other reactors with these problems are located further north, near Lake Michigan. What I notice to be a similarity among the placement of these reactor is that they are near bodies of water.
From the next map I looked at, I can see that many recent earthquakes have been occurring in California. There are many nuclear reactors here, sprawled about the north and south of the state. However seeing as the earthquakes occurring here are rather minor, I do not think that the plants should be shut down. On the other side of the country are plants with much more of a risk. In places like Tennesse and Alabama, reactors are at risk of big earthquakes. For the saftey of the workers and the environment, I believe they should be shut down.
Very nicely done; I like how you've transcended the typical "let's just answer the questions" format that many students use and developed your own style of response. Keep this up.
ReplyDelete